Wednesday 18 January 2012

My first Mandala

Not much going on in my art world or Etsy shop just now, needing to care for a family member so may well be a bit quiet for a while. The beauty of my new art discoveries though, means it is something that can be done 'on the move' or in waiting rooms etc, also does help you not to go quietly insane (honest).

Whilst having a free hour to browse a day or so ago I discovered a wondeful art site called 'Artisfun.com' has a lot of free teaching and ideas, that is were I discovered the Mandala, of course I have seen many around but not actually known what they were, here is the explanation from the Artisfun website:


What is a mandala?
A mandala is a complex abstract design that is usually circular in form. In fact, "mandala" is a Sanskrit word that means "circle". Mandalas generally have one identifiable center point, from which emanates an array of symbols, shapes and forms.

Mandalas can contain both geometric and organic forms. They can also contain recognizable images that carry meaning for the person who is creating it.

In essence, mandalas represent the connection between our inner worlds and outer reality. Designing your own mandalas can be both inspirational and therapeutic.



Read more: http://www.art-is-fun.com/how-to-draw-a-mandala.html#ixzz1jp13uhxn


If you look around Etsy there are many of these wonders, far better than my first attempt, in the future I will show you an improved version (not done one yet of course but I will).






See, anyone can do this - and I can tell you its very relaxing to do. Mine was done in mixed media, inks, pastel and watercolour.


Have a good week, and be sure to do at least one thing you want to do!

~SimJaTa~

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wow, you are really inspiring me with each blog post since you took up the art, I love the Mandalas, and they are much more than just a piece of art.

    Hope your family is OK Lynda,

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very relaxing to do, you really should try it Mick.

    Thank you for concern, all is well now.

    ReplyDelete