Monday 15 August 2011

Handmade Monday, My first attempt

I have often read about 'Handmade Monday' but not fully understood what it was all about, I have just seen Haptree's blog on CraftUK and decided to have a go. Still not quite sure were I am meant to link it too? but do understand no shop links and chat about craft and latest makes be they good or bad...
Well, as some of you know I am really a bag maker, but do enjoy other crafting too. I noticed many of our customers like something a bit more reasonably priced to treat themselves too, so had the idea to make brooches - it didnt start so well..




I have listed some brooches, but they often turned out way too big so became keyrings and bag charms instead, but some as the one above and this did not make it to the shop, I just wasnt getting it!



Improving slightly, I am aware its my outline that just isnt right - so tried this one, still not quite sure the magic is quite there though?



During the weekend I had a new idea, long long ago when time began I used to make jewellery, I still have some left in a drawer so thought I would try a spot of remaking and turn the old jewellery into brooches, now these I like...I may well be the only one, who knows? but I am happy with my first two attempts at flower brooches - although the light is not really my friend this morning but hopefully you get the idea.






So, there you have it. SimJaTa's move into the land of the handmade brooch, you may wish to watch this space and by next Monday I may have improved. I have spent an awful lot of hours trying, and more hours will be spent this week too - alongside the next bag I am 'meant' to be hand quilting, anyone found out were those extra hours in the day are hiding yet?

Late edit - to say my first mistake was not putting the link back to the handmade monday blog by wendy (sorry) here it is http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog/

~Bags of Swank by SimJaTa~

20 comments:

  1. Hi from a new follower, glad you could join in Handmade Monday.
    (I've sent you a msg via Folksy)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super to see you on Handmade Monday. Love the repurposed brooches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for you help Jan, I have masterd it now and joined in properly.

    Hi Ros, many thanks for joining and commenting.
    Lynda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flower brooches, looking forward to seeing more.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the brooches, the pink one is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the first brooch in particular - very cool for Autumn with those colours :)

    Alison

    Blue Forest Jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the brooches, all of them. My favourite is the second one. Sometimes we are too picky when it comes to our own crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to have you join in - I guess you worked out where to link up? Any problems, just email me (details on contact page on blog).

    I love the brooches! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to handmade Monday! Love your brooches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the kind comments, I think I am now following you all and have been spurred on by you to be more creative.

    Thanks Wendy, I got there in the end, next time will try make your link 'clickable' not mastered that one yet.

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Im a new follower too.
    Beautiful things you make darl.
    And such a pretty blog too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Rita, your dolls are amazing!

    Lynda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay...welcome to Handmade Monday!

    Love the brooches, really nice work x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi welcome to Handmade Monday.Your brooches are lovely, interesting reading your thought processes as you went along

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those brooches are gorgeous. Certainly worth all the time and effort.
    Must admit I find a new idea always takes a lot of time to create.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Anna and Caroline, I am now following you both too.

    Thanks Linda, glad its not just me that has an awful lot of 'misses' first, still does add to the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good idea to make smaller items along side your bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I love the dogs, those would be so popular here, altho I have no idea how you did them! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. just a note for me, I have seen something very similar to my brooches listed today - my first will go in my shop tomorrow. Just in case I need to prove wasnt me who copied, I am aware imitation is a form of flattery!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete